Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Great DVD for kids

If you are like me, then you have a very difficult time finding anything suitable for kids to watch that is not full of worldly innuendos and value systems. I mean sure, you can show them Veggietales and those old CCC movies, but those get old quick.

About a year ago, I came across the Animusic DVD's and I think they are one of the greatest video purchases I have ever made. Animusic is a style of animated music: unlike other attempts at making solely musical pictures (like Fantasia), Animusic is coordinated so that every single sound you hear is produced by something on the screen-and every movement likewise produces a sound. Here's an example called "Pipe Dream" from the Animusic 2 DVD:

Besides being thorougly entertaining (I can watch a whole 55 minutes DVD of this stuff straight through), my kids love to watch it as well. I can put this on and my kids will become engrossed in it, and I don't have to worry about what they are watching. This is one of their favorite videos and they often beg me to be allowed to watch it.

Here's another one called "Starship Groove":


Now finally, my favorite, "Pogo Sticks," from Animusic 2 (my kids love to imitate these pogo sticks and hop-around while this one is playing):

Each DVD comes with about eight or ten of these on them. I'll probably get some angry comments from people who dislike any music at all after the Baroque period, but I say that this stuff is really cool (from a musical and animation standpoint) and my kids and I get a lot of enjoyment from watching these videos. I don't have any stock in Animusic or anything; I just think it's cool and I feel good letting my kids get into it. Here is Animusic's website if you are interested in learning more.

No comments: